02-Feb-23 : Unreal Devices
We've set up a new partner operation, Unreal Devices, to work on some of our legacy products, prototype instruments that never made it into production and which are currently sitting in boxes upstairs in the loft.
The idea is that we will resurrect some of these old designs and work on them in our spare time, mostly at weekends and in the evenings, family commitments excepted, and maybe figure out where they went wrong, see if we can learn from our mistakes and then update those designs with what we've learned since the project was shelved.
It's about waste really. As it is, these designs are just sitting abandoned in a cupboard or up in the loft, which is a massive shame, I think. A waste of all the time and energy (and money!) that went into making them in the first instance.
Check out the Unreal Devices web page for further updates.
24-Jan-23 : An update
1. ZEIT Sequencer Reboot
The first generation of CPU upgrades are nearing completion. The original operating system has been completely re-written from the ground up so that we can grow the system exactly as we originally planned twenty years ago.
If you have a ZEIT Sequencer and want to join the reboot programme then get in touch. The new CPU boards will not be expensive and they will give your sequencer a new lease of life. Here's a rough price guide:
Alpha Tester, Free
Beta Tester, £100.00
General user, £200.00
Instruments can be fully refurbished, £300.00
Conditions (provisional, as of 24-Jan-23)
1. All of the Alpha tester positions have been allocated
2. Two Beta Tester positions remain
3. Installation should be performed by a suitably qualified technician. You should not attempt this upgrade if you have limited experience of maintaining electronic equipment. If in doubt, get a technician to do it for you.
4. The new CPU boards are drop-in replacements for the existing board. You don't need to cut any wires. You may need to break some of the hot glue fixtures.
5. The new boards can be re-programmed over USB.
Pictured left is the first customer unit to be fitted with the new CPU card. It worked first time (always encouraging).
2. Eurorack Systems
We've pretty much abandoned our analogue Eurorack projects in favour of digital solutions. Analogue systems are too limited and too temperamental. Too many parts have become unobtainable and a couple of units have failed in the field before we've even started beta-testing.
Gimme digital over analogue every time.
Want to know more? Why not sign up to our mailing list and stay in touch.